The famous Varzuga River is one of the most productive and exciting salmon rivers in the world. Salmon Junkies has an exclusive long termed lease on more than 30 km of the most attractive and enjoyable salmon fishing on the Kola Peninsula. This charming section of river gives access to the most prestigious and remote part of Varzuga, from the Yzia tributary down to the junction with Pana River.
The Grand Varzuga camp accommodates up to 10 guests in single rooms over five cabins. There is a central shower and washing block, plus a cosy centrally placed dinning house with a veranda overlooking the river. There is also a Russian Banya (sauna), where you can enjoy steamy and relaxing warmth after a good days’ fishing.
Grand Varzuga is located about 15 km upstream of the Pana tributary. Here the river is medium sized at 30 to 65 metres wide with numerous fast runs and rocky sections, which provide awesome holding spots/sections. There are also slower and deeper sections, where some of the largest Varzuga fish tend to hold. The biggest salmon are actually ‘designed’ to reach this part of the river (in 2013 we landed and measured 9 x 20Lb. Salmon). The Grand Varzuga beat is so remote you will feel you have finally come to ‘salmon heaven’! Close to the camp there is plenty of good fly fishing water. Not all of the pools have been discovered yet, so you may even find get a pool named after you!
Join Salmon Junkies on our Varzuga program and you could learn more about Atlantic salmon fishing in one week than you will in a lifetime of fishing Norwegian or Scottish rivers. Average catch per rod 25 – 28 salmon per rod (in 2012 one rod caught 64 salmon during his visit to Grand Varzuga)
Grand Varzuga travel itinerary: This is how you will spend your week in Grand Varzuga – Please notice that the program will run from Sunday to Sunday.
- Sunday/Day 1: Pick up service at your Hotel in Murmansk at 12.00 a.m. Following a 2 hour bus journey to Kirovsk airport, you will take a 50 minute helicopter flight to Grand Varzuga. Sunday evening fishing will take place 1–4 km upstream from the camp under a schedule directed by the camp manager.
- Monday/Day 2: Salmon fishing – Grand Varzuga
- Tuesday/Day 3: Salmon fishing – Grand Varzuga
- Wednesday/Day 4: Salmon fishing – Grand Varzuga
- Thursday/Day 5: Salmon fishing – Grand Varzuga
- Friday/Day 6: Salmon fishing – Grand Varzuga
- Saturday/Day 7: Salmon fishing – Grand Varzuga
- Sunday morning/Day 8: Return to Murmansk via Kirovsk Airport, arriving in the afternoon.
Daily transport to the beats is by Jet-boats where water conditions allow.
When the season starts the river often runs high and it is best to use a double-handed rod at this time. In June the temperature usually rises quite quickly giving way to the Russian arctic summer, and this can be surprisingly warm. Anglers will then be changing to floating lines and flies fished near or on the surface, e.g. riffling hitch or dry flies. A light Spey rod or Switch rod is the prime choice for many guests during this period. Grand Varzuga Salmon are very strong fighters, so check your line splicing before coming.
1 open rod 18/5 – 25/5
1 open rod 25/5 – 1/6
1 open rod 1/6 – 8/6
Please watch our small film teaser from Grand Varzuga http://salmonjunkies.com/category/movies/
For more information please mail firstname.lastname@example.org