Review – Umba autumn 2009
I want to say thanks to Alan, Jesper, Ole, Wolfgang, Illtyd, Kåre, Jan, Peter for two great weeks this autumn – Two weeks that gave of us everything what Umba is about – fabulous autumn fishing in the most fantastic breathtaking surroundings.
Our two weeks in Umba produced between 10 rods 106 salmon
Salmon between 10Lbs – 14Lbs = 33 Salmon
Salmon between 16Lbs – 19Lbs = 12 Salmon
Salmon Between 20Lbs – 24Lbs = 3 Salmon
To support this conservation plan who was implemented in 2008, Salmon Junkies have signed a long termed contract with the Umba people – A contract that include following commitments.
Below you will find the action plan of this agreement:
- 3 Groups, 2 person in each ( 1 fish inspector and 1 guard ) 24-hours duty on river at period from May till October per year. - 1-st group will be guard mouth of Umba river ( Down stream region from White sea till Umba village ) - 2-nd group will be guard upper Umba river till lake poncho (Krivetz region) - 3-rd group will will be in POGOST lodge and will be guard Middle Umba, in case of need this group will assist 1-st or 2-nd groups. This groups will be supply by boats with good engine and patrol UAZ cars and other equipment for protection work on UMBA river. There will be built 2 wood houses, as “guard house” - one in mouth of Umba river - one in Krivetz
- According agreement with department of Fishing Protection in Murmansk Region Patrol vessel from Murmansk with fishing inspectors will be duty May-June and September-October in White sea near UMBA river gate.
- According agreement with Police Department in Murmansk Region a few policemen from special Detachment will help us in protection UMBA river during fishing season.
- On the road at the entrance to the UMBA village will be found fishing shop “UMBA Smoking House” with two selling department:-1st for selling different kind of fish and especially salmon, frozen, hot and cold smoking-2nd for selling fly fishing-tackles, wear, other fishing accessories and equipment. All goods in that shop will have labels with slogan about conservation and protection Atlantic Salmon in UMBA river. One aim of this action is reduction sales of illegal catching salmon in Umba village region, another part of profit from sales in that shop will be send for protection actions on UMBA river.
- By the instrumentality of NASCO we will start scientific work by conservation and increasing the number of Atlantic Salmon in UMBA river.
We feel confident that this action plan will improve the valuable Umba resouce and especially our opportunity to offer one of the most interesting, challenging and maybe the cheapest salmon programs on the Kola Peninsula.The Camp will be manage under our flag, with a upgraded guide group, with better equipment regarding boats and daily hardware for their work
Once again a million thanks for your great support, and I hope to see you again in Umba 2010