Recent years have seen the development of many and varied innovative salmon fly designs. Today’s salmon fly fisherman has a great many weapons in his armory, ranging from simple single, double or treble hooks, short or long in the shank, barbed or barbless; snakes and needle flies; cone heads, bottle tubes and turbo discs. The tube fly has long been a favorites of many fly tyers, available in a variety of materials, such as plastic, aluminum, copper and brass, allowing flytyers to make tube flies in a useful range of lengths and weights to suit most river conditions. Another great advantage of the tube fly is its durability, as the hook, whether single, double or treble, can be easily replaced when damaged.
- Tubes give you more control over the weight of your fly. By simply changing up the type of tube your pattern is tied on, you can have the exact same fly with dramatically different weights.
- With tube flies, it is possible to take an already great hooked pattern and make it either wider and/or longer. Often a fly with a bigger profile can make all of the difference.
- Tube flies land you more fish. Since the tube usually detaches from the hook, the shorter shank makes it tougher for a fish to thrash it out.
- Tube flies are extremely reusable. The fly usually slides up the line when a fish is hooked. That way no fish teeth actually touch the feathers and fur.
- Tube flies are very adaptable. That is to say, you can easily change the hook size of the fly to accommodate whatever species or situation.
Bring tube flies with a wing length around 1/2 inches – 1 ½ inches – Get them in the classic “Scandi” design with a long profile in the wing like the Tempeldog style – Good colours – Black / Yellow / Orange / Green / Brown
Traditional hook fliesAlways bring a bounce of traditional hook flies. All rivers have their favourites, and Ponoi and Umba are no exception.Bring a handful of the patterns below Red But, Green But, The Undertaker Billy But. Green HighlanderBlue Steel Silver DoctorBlack FrancisAlly’s ShrimpThunder & LightningHairy MaryThe CascadeWillie GunnBlack Sheep.